Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Recipe: Pesto Chicken fingers with Cauliflower Salad and Potatoes

Last week at the supermarket I found breadcrumbs and chicken breast and therefore the most logical thing to make was chicken fingers. Except, I am not remotely capable of making anything simply so I decided to make pesto chicken fingers with a side of cauliflower and potatoes. I probably should have made a salad, but the potatoes were so tempting.

Finished deliciousness!
Ingredients:
1 whole Chicken breast
½ - 1 cup breadcrumbs (unseasoned)
3 tbs pesto (or to taste)
Salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes to taste
Oil

At the store I bought an entire deboned chicken breast and then sliced it into cutlets. It was more cost efficient and I got to decide how thick to cut the chicken. That being said, you can absolutely purchase sliced chicken.
Once the chicken is sliced, coat with a thick layer of pesto sauce (at some point, I promise I’ll make some from scratch). Spend some time massaging the pesto into the chicken so then it really absorbs the flavors.
In a separate plate, mix the breadcrumbs with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and then dredge the chicken in the mixture. Make sure to coat each piece well.
Pour oil into a large flat pan and heat over a medium flame. When the oil is hot, start carefully placing your chicken into the pan. Cook on each side until golden brown.  They should be cooking for a minimum of 2 minutes on each side if the pieces aren’t too thick. When you remove the chicken from the oil, set aside on a paper towel so the excess oil is absorbed.
Serve warm with a drizzle of pesto on top.
 
Beautiful with a drizzle of pesto on top!
We also ate our chicken with a potato salad made simply with olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper
I wish there had been more color in our sides!
flakes. Then I also had cauliflower for the first time in ages. We boiled it lightly after cutting it into uneven pieces and then tossed it with olive oil, red garlic chunks (slightly different than normal garlic, so I’m going to have to post about it soon), salt and pepper.  It was light and delicious.

Both sides really went well with the pesto chicken fingers because they have such mild, yet delicious flavors.  

2 comments:

  1. I will need to try your potato salad. My husband hates mayo so I haven't been able to eat much potato salad. I think this no mayo version will change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like mayo in sandwiches, but I really don't like it with potatoes or chicken so I thought that this was a really nice way to do a potato salad. And if you guys like spicy, you can put the red pepper flakes into the water while the potatoes are boiling. They'll absorb more of the spice that way but it still stays pretty light. :)

      Delete